Sunday, April 10, 2011

Woman Warrior Credit Due in So Many Places!

xʷuy̓ xʷʔit nukʷ he nscəw nʔeye (It seems there is a lot of work for me to do here).  I have decided, I need a goal here...  as I figure out where I want to go with blogging :)

As you can see, I haven't exactly figured out what this blog is going to look like. Today I am compelled to do an update.  Life is busy, but to do this task of a blog, you do need some degree of dedication. I believe that I possess such a quality (despite having no new posts in almost a month :S).  I also believe in the Nłeʔkepmxcin, and the Nłeʔkepmx people, (and others) who are dedicatedly enticed to try and save this language. It really is beautiful in all its complexity.

On the flipside, I totally relate with all those who are overwhelmed at it.

My first experiences of Nłeʔkepmxcin were, as I remember, somewhat awkward (to say the least-may have been what I thought scolding? from gramma, to sobbing in class OMG haha silly child I was) though on the upside, I remember feeling intruiged.  I knew one day I would understand (at least part). I really wished it was sooner though, I couldn’t wait know! I strained my ear to try to pick out words, and started asking mom what was said.  Mom’s always the best teacher. <3 nəxʷum̓ xʷuzcin Nk̓ʷəlekn̓ <3
Woman Warrior! Nk̓ʷəlekn̓ aka Amelia Washington (Photo by Remington John Photography)

Language Champion Award winner! Woman Warrior! Mandy Na'zinek Jimmie (Photo by Remington John Photography)



Woman Warrior! C̓uʔsinek aka Marty Aspinall (Remington John Photography)

There are so many to credit with helping me along the way to understanding the bit that I do comprehend.  First, is Momma, for those who don’t know, is Amelia Washinton. :) She is really the most patient teacher. Lucky children these days have her as their teacher at the Coquihalla Middle School (SD#58 Nicola-Similkameen), where she’s taught formally now for almost four years.  Other fomal instructors of mine were Marty Aspinall the now retired Merritt Secondary School teacher, and Mandy Jimmie the former CMS teacher, and present Nicola Valley Institute of Technology Indigenous Studies Instructor. 

I remember three other relatives in particular who peaked my interest. Gosh they were the most beautiful women for the reason-they in their own way strove to teach me (unwittingly). One is my late grandmother Minnie Sam (nee Martin), the others, my late great aunts Rose Tate, and Julia Lampreau. (who has a good photo?, who do I seek permission from?) You see, these women spoke the language all the time, and I know they could speak English, but it was probably just easier to speak Nłeʔkepmxcin.  I wanted to know what they spoke of, and just couldn’t hear words.  I heard strings and strings of sounds, and it did sound wonderful, but thats what I found most difficult.  Where does one word end and another begin??

It was especially difficult with their old time accents, Gosh they sounded cute, especially Aunty Rose. You see, their voices were raised, its hard to explain. (maybe we will see some video blogging soon, or at the very least sound clips embedded).  They spoke supereloquently and FAST too.

Gosh, I love all these women. When I reminisce, I see Yeyeʔ and Aunty Rose sitting together speaking with Momma, or trips with Momma down to nƛ̓qəmcin to visit Aunty Rose. My ears perk each time I hear Mom speaking or Mandy, or any speaker for that matter, grateful for things like that or written posts from Marty.

Speaking is most important; Like face time or phone calls, or even Skype conversations! lets all do more.  I hope to do more Vlog, aka video logging, as that would make less of a time constraint? or to me seem more convenient and equally as useful. speak and, hearing as well as seeing written :)

Nłeʔkepmxcinmcme, speak Nłeʔkepmxcin with me!?
Nłeʔkepmxcinxuze, All of you*us*, speak Nłeʔkepmxcin!
humeł ok alright goodbye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment